Our is responsible to enhance SABIC growth opportunities by linking business priorities with public policy priorities, defend our competitive industry position against legislative, regulatory and policy initiatives that adversely affect SABIC in Europe and globally but also obtain government funds/incentives/tax relief (e.g. training grants, R&D funding, economic development incentives).
SABIC sometimes employs external consultants to support our political engagement activities, for example to monitor political developments and, in some cases, to engage government officials on our behalf. All interactions with government officials are governed by our Code of Ethics, Anti-Bribery Policy, as well as our Anti-Bribery Procedures and Gifts and Hospitality Procedures.
In Europe the Government Relations & Public affairs team is reporting to the Regional Head and include 4 direct employees.
JOB PURPOSE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- To develop SABIC position vis-à-vis its key external (non) governmental stakeholders at European level (e.g. European Parliament, European Commission), national- the Hague- level and regional level on key issues.
- To represent SABIC position vis-á-vis national and regional level with strong alignment with the Director Government Relations Europe and Sustainability Team Europe.
- To ensure active representation and participation in trade associations e.g. CEFIC, VNCI and VNO-NCW
- To prepare briefing documents to support the VP Europe and Director Government Relations in their outreach.
- To update our annual country profiles in close corporation with our national country leaders in Europe
- To promote SABIC’s good reputation and image amongst key external stakeholders.
- To identify opportunities and threats arising from developments in the public and societal domain and to develop appropriate influencing strategies.
- Manage SABIC’s PA agenda for issues at the EU level and the Dutch national – The Hague- level.
- Monitor public policy and societal issues’ developments in order to identify pro-actively issues of potential concern.
- Develop, coordinate and execute SABIC’s influencing strategy and approach including media actions on the priority issues like climate change and CO2 emissions trading, energy, fair trade, sustainability and innovation.
- Liaise with industry and employers’ associations, f.e. CEFIC, VNCI and VNO-NCW.
- Create and manage SABIC’s external network with key stakeholders at EU and national –The Hague- level.
- Conduct in active dialogue with Dutch government representatives, national MP’s, media representatives a.o.
- Represent SABIC in societal, political and industry bodies and at relevant meetings and events.
- Give support and advice to Vice President Europe, Director Government Relations & Public Affairs and other senior executives in their external representative roles.
- Act as internal consultant and sparring partner for (non) executives in the entire SABIC organisation in their involvement and interaction with governmental bodies and other stakeholders in the public domain.
- Create and steer multi-disciplinary teams for the management of key issues.
- Create a detailed overview of SABIC’s corporate memberships and ensure external representation.
- Create an Issue Management System, in which all European priority issues are laid down as well as actions taken by the issue owners and others.
- Make the SABIC organisation aware of issues and align with issue experts and senior executives into a company position paper.
- Interact with SBU’s, manufacturing and other functions with the aim of delivering alignment on the various company positions (European and global).
MINIMUM EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 5-10 years’ experience within oil/refining, chemicals, energy generation/supply or a related sector.
- Master degree in a relevant (political) science, or related field.
- A good understanding of EU legislation and regulation is required to understand the impact on SABIC’s operations, competitiveness, market access and sales.
- Highly developed influencing skills
- Results driven, goal orientated working style
- Experience in working with people with different cultures and backgrounds
Interested in this position?
Please apply online by sending us your CV and motivation letter in English. Due to data privacy reasons, we do not handle any applications sent by email. For additional questions you can contact the Recruiter Miriam Ozdemir via [email protected].
Please be informed that a reference check, an employment verification and E-assessment are part of our recruitment process. A Certificate of Good Conduct can be requested depending on the level of the role in our organization and/or function, allowing us to request depending on local regulations.
Responses from employment agencies will not be considered.
SABIC is a global diversified chemicals company, headquartered in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. We manufacture on a global scale in the Americas, Europe, Middle East and Asia Pacific, making distinctly different kinds of products: chemicals, commodity and high performance plastics, agri-nutrients and metals. We support our customers by identifying and developing opportunities in key end-use applications such as construction, medical devices, packaging, agri-nutrients, electrical and electronics, transportation and clean energy. Our production in 2020 was 60.8 million metric tons.
We have more than 33,000 employees worldwide and operates in around 50 countries. Fostering innovation and a spirit of ingenuity, we have 9,000+ global patent filings, and significant research resources with innovation hubs in five key geographies – USA, Europe, Middle East, South Asia and North Asia.
In Europe, we have over 6,000 professionals running multiple world-scale production sites and 4 technology and innovation centers. We are present in almost every European country. Major locations within our broad network of innovation, production and marketing are: Teesside (UK), Cartagena (Spain), Gelsenkirchen (Germany), Geleen (the Netherlands), Bergen op Zoom (the Netherlands) and Genk (Belgium).
SABIC is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and as such will not discriminate in its employment practices, including recruiting and hiring practices, based on a person’s race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.