- Responsible for setting and executing legislative, regulatory and political strategy in cities to open new markets and regulations.
- Engage and develop positive working relationships with government and community stakeholders and lay a foundation for continued partnership.
- Evaluate and prioritize potential new markets or growth opportunities in partnership with leadership and internal teams
- Manage strategic advisers and local government relations consultants
- Navigate city and state regulatory structures, and actively manage Bird’s participation in any regulatory processes required. Testify at legislative hearings; negotiate with elected officials, agency regulators and other stakeholders; and otherwise advocate for Bird to achieve favorable operating conditions as needed
- Review proposed ordinances and regulations and develop and execute strategy working with elected officials, third party organizations, community allies other market participants
- Build relationships with organizations (businesses, clubs, nonprofits, etc) and secure local partnerships to enhance city relationships, advocate for shared mobility programs and win competitive permits
- Engage with local, state, regional and national organizations to build third party support resources
- 8+ years work experience in government, political or management consulting, lobbying, in-house GR, political communications, city or state government, legislative affairs, urban mobility, politics/campaigns, advocacy.
- Analytically and strategically skilled with an execution mindset.
- Motivated, creative strategic thinker, able to think outside the box and pursue new solutions
- Self-starter, ability to own and drive priorities within your portfolio
- Understanding of both the regulatory processes and politics involved at the state and local level; experience navigating city and state level government.
- Experienced public speaker, comfortable communicating your message and responding to tough questions from hostile audiences- from community groups to high-ranking elected officials.
- Ability to think on your feet- to quickly synthesize and respond to new information while also continuing to drive your priorities- both one-on-one or when presenting publicly.
- Thorough attention to detail when analyzing regulatory language and parameters.
- Ability to be highly responsive and willing to work flexible hours, an ability to lead and manage shifting assignments and multiple projects at the same time is a must.
- BA required, advanced degree, JD, MBA, or MPA preferred.
Culture at Bird
We’re an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a work from home stipend, a wellness allowance, and more. Plus, a new resource to help support personal and professional developments—all the goods needed to move on our mission together.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.